This is a top 15 of most-watched, most-discussed TV dramas in Mainland China around March 2013 according to the Baidu charts.
1 * “Good Wife” 贤妻 (Xianqi)
Family drama. 2013. When Han Dayi marries the upper-class Zhao Baxuan, they first seem to lead a happy and careless life. But as Han Dayi does not deliver the son that her aristocrat mother-in-law desires, things start to unravel. Check out my article on this tv drama here.
2 * “Article 22 of the Marriage Rules” 第二十二条婚规 (Di’ershi’er Tiao Hungui)
Romantic comedy. 2013. Liyue Tong is a “golden shengnu”; a successful, trendy and attractive unmarried lady. After endless blind dates, her mother forces her to marry as her father is diagnosed with a life-threatening illness. Liyue Tong calls in Zhang Duo to play her future husband in order to satisfy her mother. Unavoidably, their feigned love slowly turns into reality.
3 * “No Devil Left” 一个鬼子都不留 (Yige Guizi Dou Bu Liu)
War drama. First aired: 2011. This TV show is based on the bestselling novel by Bai Chuan, which is also titled “Yige Guizi Dou Bu Liu”. The story takes place during the Second Sino-Japanese war in a small village in Liulin County. While the Japanese are on a mission to ‘kill all, burn all, loot all’, two brothers Zhuang Jizhong and Ban Zhuli think of a plot to take vengeance on the Japanese ‘devil’.
* “Love Destiny” 爱情自由天意 (Aiqing Ziyou Tianyi)
TV Drama. 2013. Because of a switch at birth, the children from the Tang and Cheng families end up living in a family they are not related to. History gets entangled when the children grow up and their destinies bring them together.
* “Tang Dynasty Female Inspector” 大唐女巡按 (Datang Nu Xun’an)
Costume drama/Crime series. First aired 2011. Fictional Tang Dynasty female inspector Xie Yaohua solves mysterious crime cases.
* “Red Cherries” 樱桃红 (Yingtao Hong)
Family drama. First aired 2012. The sequel to the tv soap called “Cherries” (Yingtao).
* “Swordsmen” 笑傲江湖 (Xiao’ao Jianghu)
Martial arts. First aired 2012. Adaptation of novel ‘The Smiling, Proud Wanderer’.
* “Countryside Love” 乡村爱情故事 (Xiangcun Aiqing Gushi)
Romantic Comedy. First aired 2010.
* “When Puberty Runs Into Menopause” 青春期撞上更年期 (Qing Chunqi Zhuangshuang Geng Nianqi)
Family drama, 2013.
* “Trivial Matters of an Only Child” 独生子女的婆婆妈妈 （Du Shengzinu de Popo Mama)
Family drama, 2013.
* “Dad, I am pregnant with your kid” 爸爸，我怀了你的孩子 (Baba, Wo Huai le Ni de Haizi)
2013. Ethical/Family drama.
* “The Three Kingdom Era of Sisters-in-Law” 妯娌的三国时代 (Zhouli de Sanguo Shidai)
Family drama. 2012.
* “I am a Special Force Soldier” 我是特种兵 (Wo shi Tezhongbing)
War drama. First aired 2011.
* “Marrying the Wrong One／Mismarriage” 错嫁 (Cuo Jia)
Costume drama, first aired 2011.
* “Bi You Cai” 毕有财
Family drama (costume) 2013.