Connect with us

China Local News

Woman Forced into Trunk of Car: “I Won’t Press Charges”

One day after a shocking video of a woman being slapped and forced into the trunk of a car became trending on Chinese social media, more details on the violent incident have come out. The woman says she won’t press charges against the aggressor, who is her husband.

Published

on

https://youtu.be/NgjdF3jGKQ4

One day after a shocking video of a woman being slapped and forced into the trunk of a car became trending on Chinese social media, more details on the violent incident have come out. The woman says she won’t press charges against the aggressor, who is her husband.

On June 10, one day after the video of a woman being slapped and forced into the trunk of a car went viral on China’s social media, there is an update to the story. The incident, that took place in Cangzhou, Hebei province, was first shrouded in mystery – the video showed the man violently beating the woman and pushing her inside the trunk while bystanders did little to prevent him, after which he drove off.

Now, under the hashtag of “The Woman in the Trunk” (#后备箱里的女人#), more details have come to light.

[rp4wp]

News reports state that the police has investigated the case, and they confirm that the man and woman in the video are a husband and wife from Cangzhou, who were caught up in an angry argument at the time of the video.

According to the Weibo account of the local police, the woman is not injured and refuses to press charges against her husband – instead, the couple just wants to “live their life in peace together”.

According to the Weibo account of blogger Hu’erdao, the woman and her husband said their lives have been greatly affected by the video. Hu’erdao writes: “You thought this was still something between you? This has now become a public matter. Many people thought this was a kidnapping case. Did you think you could just leave it at this? You think it is normal to put someone in the car trunk?”

005AHg4Ggw1f4pyeyfapwj309n09g0sx

005AHg4Ggw1f4pyexb4lwj30a009g74h

Other netizens agree with the blogger, saying: “If this was America, he would be arrested no matter if she pressed charges or not.” Weibo user She Huimin (@佘惠敏) also argues that the violent man should be arrested, no matter if the woman reported him to authorities or not: “They could suspend his driver’s license and take him into custody for ten days (..) Didn’t he break the law by putting someone in the trunk of his car?”

Another Weibo netizen writes: “My friends live in the same village as this couple. Everybody there knows she’s too afraid to get a divorce, as she fears he might do something to her family.” She also writes that the man is known to be violent and a heavy drinker: “It is possible for him not to eat, but it’s not possible for him not to drink.” In another post she says: “She is too afraid to press charges, and too afraid to get a divorce, out of fear for his revenge. After all, this man is capable of anything – he wasn’t afraid that he might’ve killed her by putting her in that trunk.”

Although there are many netizens who are angry that the case is left at this, there are also those who argue that the woman might not want to press charges out of fear, but that the man should be convicted no matter what – after all, “isn’t domestic violence a crime?”

China’s first law against domestic violence came into effect on March 1st of this year. According to estimations, one-in-four Chinese women have suffered violence in their marriage. But as what happens within the family home is traditionally considered a private matter, many women are afraid to talk about domestic abuse – which is still considered taboo.

But social media plays an important role in creating more awareness about domestic violence and the reaction of bystanders. Earlier this year, a video of a woman being nearly abducted in a Beijing hotel made headlines all over China. It showed a man violently dragging a woman through the hallway, while multiple people passed by without intervening. Some explained their passive response by saying they might have thought the man and woman were husband and wife – but many netizens pointed out that it should not make a difference if they were.

For now, it seems that the case of the woman in the trunk has reached a dead end. As the woman refuses to press charges, expressing they just want to “live their lives together in peace”, it is to be hoped that it will actually come to this.

– By Manya Koetse

©2016 Whatsonweibo. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce our content without permission – you can contact us at info@whatsonweibo.com

Manya Koetse is the founder and editor-in-chief of whatsonweibo.com. She is a writer, public speaker, and researcher (Sinologist, MPhil) on social trends, digital developments, and new media in an ever-changing China, with a focus on Chinese society, pop culture, and gender issues. She shares her love for hotpot on hotpotambassador.com. Contact at manya@whatsonweibo.com, or follow on Twitter.

Continue Reading
2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. Cinta Williams

    June 11, 2016 at 2:48 am

    I want to know who was the other person in the trunk?

  2. Kim

    August 19, 2016 at 3:45 pm

    I saw that a guy translated what they said and it was that she had molested their 8 yr old son is that true

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

China Health & Science

Shanghai ‘Dead Man’ Taken Away to Morgue, Found to Be Alive

An incident in which a man taken to a morgue turned out to be alive doesn’t really help to restore residents’ trust in Shanghai.

Published

on

An incident in which a Shanghai man, who was thought to be dead, was taken to a funeral home before he was found to be alive has become a big topic on Chinese social media.

The incident happened on the afternoon of May 1st at the Shanghai Xinchangzheng Nursing Home (上海新长征福利院) in the city’s Putuo District.

A video of the incident went viral on Chinese social media in which a body bag can be seen put into a vehicle by three people, two members of staff from the nursing home and one funeral home worker. Shortly after, the body bag is taken out again and put back on a trolley. One of the nurses zips open the bag, pulls a cover from the man’s face, and apparently finds him to be alive.

“He’s alive,” one of the workers says in shock: “He’s alive, I saw it, he’s alive. Don’t cover him any more.”

The man is then transferred back into the nursing home, still inside the body bag.

The video that is making its rounds on social media was filmed from two different angles, the person filming can be heard calling the incident “a disgrace for human life” and “irresponsible.”

On May 2nd, the Chinese state media outlet People’s Daily posted about the incident on Weibo, saying the city district is currently investigating the case. The man was hospitalized and his vital signs are stable.

Meanwhile, multiple people are held accountable for the incident. The head of the nursing home has been dismissed and will be further investigated, along with four district officials. The license of the doctor involved will also be revoked.

The Shanghai Xinchangzheng Nursing Home has also apologized for the incident (#上海一福利院就未死亡老人被拉走道歉#).

On social media, many people are angry about the incident, wondering why the old man was transported to the funeral home in the first place, and why the members of staff seemed to be indifferent after finding out he was still alive.

In the video, the member of staff standing next to the man can be seen covering the patient’s face again after finding out he is still alive, leaving the body bag zipped up. Many also see this as a cold and incomprehensible way to respond.

After weeks of online anger about the chaotic and sometimes inhumane way in which Shanghai authorities have been handling the Covid outbreak in the city, this incident seems to further lower the public’s trust in how patients and vulnerable residents are being treated.

“Shanghai is such a terrifying place!”, some on Weibo write.

“Just think about it,” one person responded: “This incident took place in one of China’s most prosperous cities and happened to be filmed. How much is happening in other cities that is not caught on camera? Today, it’s this man, in the future, it’s us.”

For more articles on the Covid-19 topics on Chinese social media, check here.

By Manya Koetse, with contributions by Miranda Barnes

Get the story behind the hashtag. Subscribe to What’s on Weibo here to receive our weekly newsletter and get access to our latest articles:

Spotted a mistake or want to add something? Please let us know in comments below or email us. First-time commenters, please be patient – we will have to manually approve your comment before it appears.

©2022 Whatsonweibo. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce our content without permission – you can contact us at info@whatsonweibo.com.

Continue Reading

China and Covid19

‘Hard Isolation’ is Shanghai’s New Word of the Day

In line with a new ‘hard isolation’ measure, the entrances of some Shanghai residential buildings were fenced up.

Published

on

While some Shanghai households have already endured weeks of isolation, a new word was added to their epidemic vocabulary today: ‘hard isolation’ or ‘strong quarantine’ (yìng gélí 硬隔离)

The word popped up on Chinese social media on April 23rd after some Shanghai netizens posted photos of fences being set up around their community building to keep residents from walking out.

“New word: hard isolation. Shanghai is rotten to the core,” one commenter wrote.

The word soon turned into a hashtag page where people started commenting on the issue of fences being placed around residential buildings, voicing concerns on what a fence around buildings would mean for fire safety, especially after online rumors suggested that there had been a fire at one community in Pudong on Saturday night.

An official document regarding the ‘hard isolation’ measure was also shared online on Saturday. It is dated April 23, 2022, and its source is the Pudong New Area Office for Epidemic Control.

The document states that in line with the guidelines for the city’s epidemic prevention and control, the division between areas or zones that are in certain risk categories should be ‘optimized,’ with those in the high-risk category requiring a ‘hard isolation.’ Security guards should also be on duty 24 hours a day at the entrance of the buildings.

Earlier this month, Shanghai adopted “3-level control measures” after its initial phased lockdown. It means that local areas will be classified as “locked-down,” “controlled” or “precautionary,” based on their Covid19 risk.

“Could we also put fences around the homes of Shanghai leaders?”, one person suggested, while others posted images from the Walking Dead to mock the situation.

In the hope of Shanghai soon tackling the Covid situation, not everybody disagreed with the decision to fence some buildings or communities in the Pudong area: “I don’t disagree with it, as long as there is always someone there to open the fence in case of fire,” one person stated.

Although having a fence around their building is currently not a reality for most in Shanghai, the online photos of some communities seeing their buildings being fenced up is a reason to worry for some: “It’s been 40 days, and now they start hard isolation? This actually scares me. Before we know it, it’s June.”

One Weibo user asked: “Why is it possible to implement this hard isolation now? Was this created by the same persons who also implemented the rule to separate children from parents at isolation sites?”

“I truly can’t imagine why some people thought this is a good idea,” others wrote.

For more articles on the Covid-19 topics on Chinese social media, check here.

By Manya Koetse

Get the story behind the hashtag. Subscribe to What’s on Weibo here to receive our weekly newsletter and get access to our latest articles:

Spotted a mistake or want to add something? Please let us know in comments below or email us. First-time commenters, please be patient – we will have to manually approve your comment before it appears.

©2022 Whatsonweibo. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce our content without permission – you can contact us at info@whatsonweibo.com.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Contribute

Got any tips? Or want to become a contributor or intern at What's on Weibo? Email us as at info@whatsonweibo.com.
Advertisement

Become a member

Get the story behind the hashtag. Subscribe to What's on Weibo here to receive our weekly newsletter and get access to our latest articles.    

Support What’s on Weibo

What's on Weibo is 100% independent. Will you support us? Your support means we can remain independent and keep reporting on the latest China trends. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our website. Support us from as little as $1 here.

Popular Reads