Connect with us

China Local News

71-Year-Old Man From Xinjiang Marries 114-Year-Old Bride

The unusual marriage between a 71-year-old man and an 114-year-old woman in Xinjiang has caught the attention of Chinese media and social media users. According to the disabled groom, his 114-year-old bride was the first one to care for him.

Manya Koetse

Published

on

The unusual marriage between a 71-year-old man and an 114-year-old woman in Xinjiang has caught the attention of Chinese media and social media users. According to the disabled groom, his 114-year-old bride was the first one to ever care for him.

Chinese media report that in the city of Kashgar, Xinjiang, a 71-year-old Chinese man recently married his 114-year-old bride. The two lovebirds first met in a nursing home and applied for their marriage certificate a year later. The wedding ceremony took place on October 9.

The unusual couple was in the company of several bride maids of an average age above 80, and best men aged over 70.

6b658c6bjw1f8mauuz3yjj20go0db75d

The groom, named Zheng, told a local news station: “I’ve always been poor and uneducated. I broke my legs when I was hit by a train at the age of 20. I would’ve never dared to dream that I would still live to see such a wonderful day.”

Zheng also explained he had been living in a social welfare center for a long time. Although he was well taken care of, he always missed that one special person by his side. His bride Zhang Shuying was the first one to care for him: “I am disabled and nobody would marry me; people usually ignore me. Until I met her. She doesn’t mind that my legs are no good, and I don’t mind that she’s (..) years older than me. As long as she lives, I will be with her every day, to talk to her and pour her a cup of tea, and take good care of her.”

6b658c6bjw1f8mauvliykj20go0dbq3o

News about the special marriage has also made its rounds on Chinese social media. “This type of news always makes me very hopeful about the future,” one person responds.

A female netizen writes: “I have this feeling that my future lover has not been born yet..”

“People have the right to pursue love no matter what age they are,” one netizen says.

– By Manya Koetse
Follow on Twitter or Like on Facebook

©2016 Whatsonweibo. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce our content without permission – you can contact us at info@whatsonweibo.com.

Manya Koetse is the editor-in-chief of www.whatsonweibo.com. She is a writer and consultant (Sinologist, MPhil) on social trends in China, with a focus on social media and digital developments, popular culture, and gender issues. Contact at manya@whatsonweibo.com, or follow on Twitter.

Continue Reading
7 Comments

7 Comments

  1. Avatar

    Роза

    October 12, 2016 at 6:58 am

    молодцы, здоровья и счастья на долгие годы!!!

  2. Avatar

    Dmitry Dzhagarov

    October 12, 2016 at 9:09 pm

    71-year + 22 years = 93 not 114 something wrond in this article

    • Manya Koetse

      Manya Koetse

      October 12, 2016 at 9:39 pm

      You are completely right. We took it over from a local news source (““我是个残疾人,一直就没人看得上我,没人愿意跟我结婚,只有她不嫌弃我没有双腿,我也不介意她比我大22岁,只要她活着一天,我就每天陪着她说话,给她端茶倒水,好好伺候她……”) but you are right that the number don’t add up. Thanks!

    • Avatar

      KKKMOONMANKKK

      November 3, 2016 at 4:13 pm

      black lives don’t matter

  3. Avatar

    BizUyghur

    October 12, 2016 at 9:25 pm

    I know you got it from a online source (local news station) but the source got every facts wrong other than the marriage of these old couple.

    1. The couple are Uyghurs from Maralbeshi County (Bachu in Chinese) in Kashgar. The names of bride and groom in the article are Chinese names.

    2. The wedding took place in Maralbeshi County Not in 平度市 in Shandong province the source claimed.

    3. She is not 22 years older than him. 114 – 71 = 43

    Thanks for the article but I hope you can use little more credible sources like Xinhua: http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2016-10/10/c_129316048_2.htm

    • Manya Koetse

      Manya Koetse

      October 12, 2016 at 9:42 pm

      Thank you for your comment. At the time of publishing, the available sources were limited (the Xinhua source mentioned by you is a day after the What’s on Weibo article), but you are right that the local news station mentioned some mistakes which we did not notice. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

China Local News

Boy, 15, Fatally Beaten and Buried by Group of Minors in Shaanxi

The heinous crime has sparked discussions on the problem of campus violence and China’s criminal liability age.

Manya Koetse

Published

on

A brutal incident that took place in the city of Xingping in Shaanxi province is top trending on Chinese social media today.

On October 29, a 15-year-old boy by the name of Yuan (袁) was fatally beaten and buried by a group of six people, all minors.

Beijing News reports that Yuan was a second-year student at the Xianyang Xingping Jincheng Middle School. He had taken time off from school and had a temporary job in Xi’an before the incident occurred.

Yuan’s father told reporters that his son had returned to Xingping on October 29. A small group of minors, including four students, allegedly demanded money from Yuan, which he refused. It is also reported that a conflict occurred because Yuan added one of the minors to his phone’s ‘blacklist’ (电话拉黑).

According to various news reports, the group of minors attacked the boy with a pickaxe after which he became unconscious. They then brought him over to a nearby hotel and discovered he was dead the next day. They later buried his lifeless body in a pit near the school premises.

The location where Yuan’s body was buried, photo by Beijing News.

On November 2, other students who had heard of the crime reported it to the police. Yuan’s body was found in the pit shortly after officers arrived at the scene.

Local authorities released a statement about the case on November 10, in which they stated the suspects have been detained and that the case is still under investigation.

Various sources on Weibo claim that Yuan previously also suffered beatings at school, with severe school bullying being the main reason for the 15-year-old to temporarily drop out of school.

In a video report by Pear Video, Yuan’s father says they are still unsure of how their son died, suggesting he might have still been alive when he was buried in the pit.

China has been dealing with an epidemic of school violence for years. In 2016, Chinese netizens already urged authorities to address the problem of extreme bullying in schools, partly because minors under the age of 16 rarely face criminal punishment for their actions.

On social media site Weibo and on the news app Toutiao, many commenters are not just angered about the incident but also focus on China’s laws regarding the criminal responsibility of minors.

Some write: “Our criminal laws for minors should protect minors instead of protecting juvenile offenders!”

China’s criminal liability age is currently set at 14. Last month, Global Times reported on a proposal to lower the age of criminal liability in China from 14 to 12 in response to concerns about an alleged increase in juvenile violence.

“These minors need to be severely punished,” multiple commenters wrote: “Who knows who else they might hurt?”

By Manya Koetse

Spotted a mistake or want to add something? Please let us know in comments below or email us. First-time commenters, please be patient – we will have to manually approve your comment before it appears.

©2020 Whatsonweibo. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce our content without permission – you can contact us at info@whatsonweibo.com.

Continue Reading

China Food & Drinks

Viral Video Exposes Wuhan Canteen Kitchen Food Malpractices

Boots in the food bowl, meat from the floor: this Wuhan college canteen is making a food safety mess.

Manya Koetse

Published

on

A video that exposes the poor food hygiene inside the kitchen of a Wuhan college canteen has been making its rounds on Chinese social media these days.

The video shows how a kitchen staff member picks up meat from the floor to put back in the tray, and how another kitchen worker uses rain boots to ‘wash’ vegetables in a big bowl on the ground, while another person is smoking.

The video was reportedly shot by someone visiting the canteen of the Wuhan Donghu University (武汉东湖学院) and was posted on social media on November 7.

According to various news sources, including Toutiao News, the school has confirmed that the video was filmed in their canteen, stating that those responsible for the improper food handling practices have now been fired.

The Wuhan Donghu University also posted a statement on their Weibo account on November 8, saying it will strengthen the supervision of its canteen food handling practices.

“The students at this school will probably vomit once they see this footage,” some commenters on Weibo wrote.

Wuhan Donghu University is an undergraduate private higher education institution established in 2000. The school has approximately 16,000 full-time undergraduate students.

“I’m afraid that this is just the tip of the iceberg,” one popular comment said, receiving over 25,000 likes.

Students from other universities also expressed concerns over the food handling practices in their own canteens, while some said they felt nauseous for having had lunch at the Wuhan canteen in question.

By Manya Koetse

Spotted a mistake or want to add something? Please let us know in comments below or email us. First-time commenters, please be patient – we will have to manually approve your comment before it appears.

©2020 Whatsonweibo. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce our content without permission – you can contact us at info@whatsonweibo.com.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Support What’s on Weibo

If you enjoy What’s on Weibo and support the way we report the latest trends in China, you could consider becoming a What's on Weibo patron:
Donate

Facebook

Advertisement

Contribute

Got any tips? Or want to become a contributor or intern at What's on Weibo? Email us as at info@whatsonweibo.com.

Popular Reads