Connect with us

China Local News

Woman Killed By Tiger in Beijing Safari Park – Who is Responsible?

One Chinese woman was killed and one injured by a tiger’s attack when they exited their car in the middle of a wildlife park in Beijing. Netizens now wonder if the safari park should be held responsible for the tragic incident.

Manya Koetse

Published

on

One Chinese woman was killed and one injured by a tiger’s attack when they exited their car in the middle of a wildlife park in Beijing. Netizens now wonder if the safari park should be held responsible for the tragic incident.

Security cameras captured how a woman was attacked by a tiger on Saturday July 23 in Beijing Badaling Wildlife World (八达岭野生动物世界). The news and footage of the initial attack, shared by CCTV on Weibo on July 24, became trending on Chinese social media.

The video shows a white car stopping in the middle of the safari park, and a woman coming out from the passenger’s side. She walks up to the driver’s side but is then attacked by a tiger from behind and dragged away. The driver and a backseat passenger come out of the car and run after the woman.

1car

2car

3car

4car

P5car

last

The incident left one person dead, and one person injured. According to various Chinese media, both were women in a company of four.

The young woman who got out of the car reportedly had an argument with her husband, who was in the driver’s seat, and got out of the car. The elder woman who came to her rescue as she was dragged away is the one who died; the younger woman sustained injuries. It is not clear if the elder woman was the woman’s mother. There was also a child present in the car.

The park’s official Weibo account and official website do not mention the accident. The website does mention the park will be closed due to “heavy rain”, although other sources say that it was ordered to close due to the incident.

mention]

According to CCTV, the park rules clearly state that visitors are not to leave their cars at any times and keep door and windows securely locked.

Nevertheless, many netizens do wonder if the park is to be held responsible and if they should compensate the families of the victims.

This is not the first tragedy taking place in the Badaling Wildlife park. The managing director of the park got trampled and killed by an elephant in the park’s elephant house in March of this year.

[rp4wp]

In 2009, an 18-year-old man was killed by a tiger after he had trespassed the park’s safari area. In 2014, one of the zoo’s guards was also attacked and killed by a tiger.

The YouTube video below shows visitor’s footage of the park from 2013. The video shows that people can get close to the animals in a ‘safari’ setting. It also shows a bear drinking orange juice, parents putting their children on the back of deer and horses that seem to be in poor body condition.

According to Chinese media outlet The Oberver, sources close to the husband of the deceased victim stated they were not aware that they were still within the range of the wildlife safari, and thought they had already left.

The park indicates that its ranger honked the horn from the jeep to warn the woman not to get out of the car, but that they could not stop them from doing so.

“If you would exit the park, it is very clearly marked by a huge fence,” one netizen comments.

“This is the same as someone opening a window on an airplane,” one commenter says.

Some netizens say all parties, except for the tiger, are at fault in this matter: “Firstly, the tiger bears no responsibility for this. Secondly, the woman has no brains for coming out of the car like that. Thirdly, the park should not have visitors drive around by themselves like that.”

The case is currently under investigation. The whereabouts of the tiger are unclear. “Please don’t tell me they killed this tiger because of this moron getting out of the car,” one netizen says.

– By Manya Koetse

©2016 Whatsonweibo. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce our content without permission – you can contact us at info@whatsonweibo.com.

Manya Koetse is the editor-in-chief of www.whatsonweibo.com. She is a writer and consultant (Sinologist, MPhil) on social trends in China, with a focus on social media and digital developments, popular culture, and gender issues. Contact at manya@whatsonweibo.com, or follow on Twitter.

China Local News

China’s Shulan City in “Wartime Mode” after Recording 13 COVID-19 Infections

Local authorities announced a “wartime mode” lockdown due to 13 new local coronavirus cases in Shulan.

Manya Koetse

Published

on

First published
 

The city of Shulan in China’s Jilin Province is top trending on Chinese social media today after local authorities announced a “wartime mode” lockdown due to 13 new local coronavirus cases.

These are the first local infections in the entire province after a period of 73 days, China News reports, with other previous cases all being infections from abroad.

Last week, on May 7th, a female resident was the first to be tested positive for COVID-19. The city in northeast China is now the only place in the PRC to be marked as “high risk.”

One page on social media platform Weibo dedicated to the topic of Shulan going into “wartime mode” (“战时状态”) had received over 190 million views by Monday evening local time.

What does this “wartime mode” entail?
– All residents stay home, lockdown of residential compounds
– All public places closed
– Schools closed
– All public transportation suspended
– No more selling of fever-reducing medicine in clinics or stores

According to CGTN, a total of 290 people who have been in close contact with the infected patients have been traced and placed under medical observation.

For more COVID-19 related articles, please click here.

By Manya Koetse (@manyapan)
Follow @whatsonweibo

Spotted a mistake or want to add something? Please let us know in comments below or email us. First-time commenters, please be patient – we will have to manually approve your comment before it appears.

©2020 Whatsonweibo. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce our content without permission – you can contact us at info@whatsonweibo.com.

Continue Reading

China Local News

On Wuhan’s ‘Reopening Day’, Even Traffic Jams Are Celebrated

As the COVID-19 lockdown has ended in Wuhan, many people are happy to see the city’s traffic finally getting busy again. “I hated traffic jams before, now it makes me happy to see them.”

Manya Koetse

Published

on

It was chilly and grey in Wuhan when the coronavirus epicenter city went into a full lockdown on January 23 of this year. On April 8, 76 days later, it is sunny and twenty degrees warmer outside as people leave their homes to resume work or go for a stroll.

The end of the Wuhan lockdown is a special day for many, as the city finally lifted the 11-week-long ban that shut down all travel to and from the city in a radical effort to curb the spread of COVID-19.

On Wednesday, city residents returned to work as public transport started again. Roads, bridges, and tunnels were reopened, and the local airport resumed flights.

On Chinese social media, various hashtags relating to the Wuhan lockdown end have become popular topics. Using hashtags such as “Wuhan Lifts the Ban” (#武汉解封#), “Wuhan Open Again after 76 Days” (#武汉暂停76天后重启#), and “Wuhan Reopens” (#武汉重启#), the end of the coronavirus ban is a much-discussed news item, along with the spectacular midnight light show that was organized to celebrate the city’s reopening.

The Wuhan lightshow, image via Xinhua.

“Today has finally arrived! It’s been difficult for the people of Wuhan,” some commenters write.

According to China’s official statistics, that are disputed, over 3330 people have died from the new coronavirus since its outbreak; 80% of these fatal cases were reported in Wuhan. On April 6, authorities claimed that for the first time since the virus outbreak, there were zero new COVID-19 deaths.

Some state media, including People’s Daily, report that the reopening of restaurants and food shops is going smoothly in the city, as people – for the first time since January – are back to buying pan-fried dumplings and noodles from their favorite vendors.

Meanwhile, the fact that the traffic in some Wuhan areas is back to being somewhat congested is something that is widely celebrated on social media.

Some call the mild traffic congestions “great”, viewing it as a sign that the city is coming back to life again after practically turning into a ghost town for all these weeks.

“I hated traffic jams before, now it makes me happy to see them,” one Weibo commenter writes.

“I won’t complain about congested traffic again, because it’s a sign the streets are flourishing,” another Weibo user posted.

While netizens and media outlets are celebrating the end of the lockdown, several Chinese media accounts also remind people on social media that although the ban has been lifted, people still need to be vigilant and refrain from gathering in groups and standing close to each other.

For more COVID-19 related articles, please click here.

By Manya Koetse (@manyapan)
Follow @whatsonweibo

Spotted a mistake or want to add something? Please let us know in comments below or email us. First-time commenters, please be patient – we will have to manually approve your comment before it appears.

©2020 Whatsonweibo. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce our content without permission – you can contact us at info@whatsonweibo.com.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Support What’s on Weibo

If you enjoy What’s on Weibo and support the way we report the latest trends in China, you could consider becoming a What's on Weibo patron:
Donate

Facebook

Instagram

Advertisement

Contribute

Got any tips? Or want to become a contributor or intern at What's on Weibo? Email us as at info@whatsonweibo.com.

Popular Reads